We have all heard of lead poisoning before, but may not have a complete understanding of what it is and how it can harm adults and children. Lead is a metal that, at high levels of build-up in the body, can cause anemia, fatigue, and kidney and brain damage in adults. In children, lead poisoning can lead to damage to the brain and nervous systems, delayed growth, learning and behavior problems and hearing issues. Since we are in the painting and home restoration business, we are very knowledgeable about lead and take proper precautions to keep our clients and staff safe. Here’s a primer on lead and how you can protect yourself and your family.


In the home, lead can be found in paints, dust, soil, children’s toys and plumbing pipes. It is common to find lead in the paint used in homes that were built before 1978. The reason for this is because during that year, the federal government banned consumer lead-based paint. So today, even though you cannot buy consumer lead-based paints, it is common to find lead paints in homes, sometimes under layers of new paint. When lead-contaminated paint is in-tact in an old home, the risk of lead poisoning is low; however, peeling, chipping, chalking, cracking, damaged, or damp lead-based paint is a safety risk that must be addressed immediately. Lead from paint is one of the most common causes of lead poisoning.


Lead paint poses a serious health risk to very young children, who typically learn about the world by chewing or putting items in their mouths. Thus, a child may put chipped or peeling paint from walls, door frames or stair railings in their mouths. Lead poisoning is a very serious risk for children. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that millions of children are exposed to lead in their homes. Lead poisoning also poses a health risk to pregnant women, since lead can harm growing babies.


If you are thinking about completing a new painting project or renovation in your pre-1978 home, you may be at-risk of inhaling lead-based paint dust. It is wise to hire a certified lead abatement contractor, like McDermaid Painting. Since we are a certified lead abatement contractor through the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), we use approved methods to keep our clients and their families safe by controlling the dust using wet-sanding equipment and removing all dust completely.


McDermaid Painting has offered painting services for the past 23 years, and is an expert about protecting clients from lead poisoning. Call McDermaid Painting at (650) 961-7415 to learn how we can help you.